Author: K.M. Riley
Narrator: Audra Cook
Length: 6 hours and 5 minutes
Publisher: Trifecta Publishing House
Released: Sep. 14, 2018
Genre: Science Fiction; Dystopian
“I don’t save, I kill. I don’t build, I break. I don’t run, I chase. And I won’t rest until a new society is built on the System’s ashes.” (Cassidy Havok)
Kaden Valens’ world is kill or be killed. Such is the life of a Challenger, the property of a Citizen. Fight or die. When Kaden is ordered to face his sole family member, his sister, Nix, he chooses a different battle – one against the Federacy that owns him.
Rebel Cassidy Havok is the Federacy’s worst nightmare. Her only goal is to bring down the government, doing whatever it takes to eradicate the slave-based society. When Kaden defies the Federacy publicly, she hopes to make an ally out of him, turning the tide in the resistance’s favor.
Cassidy helps Kaden escape the clutches of the Citizenry, and they flee to the Wilds, the world outside the Federacy’s reach. There they plan for the fight of a lifetime. Can they take on a nation, or is their cause a lost one?
K.M. Riley is not only a lover of stories, but she’s a game designer, artist, and fan of all things imaginative. If she’s not writing, she’s daydreaming or doodling about more worlds and characters that will make great tales. With a background in Creative Writing, she’s always busy creating new adventures, or taking part in them.
Fever Rising is an action-packed dystopian novel that had me on the edge of my seat! The main character, Kaden, is a lovable giant with a good heart and plenty of brawn. The opening scene had me overcome with anticipation and sets the tone for the rest of the book.
At first, I was confused, especially with the narration. I really had to concentrate so I could get the world building clear in my head.
Cassidy Havok rescues Kaden and together they set out to help the to bring the system down. In a world that owns you and can do what it wants with you. Make family members kill each other. Cassidy well, let’s just say she is the most resilient character I have come across.
Her fearless attitude is enough to inspire even the timidity person. Once I understood what was going on, I really enjoyed the adventure Cassidy pulls Kaden into.
The narration felt just like someone reading the story , which was why you had to concentrate so hard at the beginning.
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by K.M. Riley. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
Q&A with Author K.M. Riley
- Was a possible audiobook recording something you were conscious of while writing?
- To be honest, no. When I’m writing a book I focus on the story itself, having fun with what I’m envisioning. Characters are my favorite part to shape. Can they compel a reader to the world, the plot, to keep reading at all?
- How did you select your narrator?
- I had the auditioning narrators read one of the most compelling scenes from the book. To me, if they could capture that moment, that intensity between the characters, they could nail the rest of the narration.
- How closely did you work with your narrator before and during the recording process? Did you give them any pronunciation tips or special insight into the characters?
- For the most part, I trusted my narrator to run with the story after a brief breakdown of pronunciation and descriptions. What mattered most to me was her portrayal of the characters. I wanted them to not only sound different, but they needed to feel as impassioned as the words they’re speaking aloud to the listener.
- How do you manage to avoid burn-out? What do you do to maintain your enthusiasm for writing?
- Burnout is common everywhere. I work in video games, so I recognize when to stop and take a break. It’s the same with writing. Sometimes I’ll read a new series, draw a character I’m thinking of, or play excessive amounts of D&D. I let my imagination stay alive until get inspired again, keeping that enthusiasm alive in other forms.
- Are you an audiobook listener? What about the audiobook format appeals to you?
- Of course I’m a listener, that’s the best part about my commute. Audiobooks make it easy to do other things while listening to a story. Exercising, long drives, you name it. Whenever I can’t hold a book in my hands but crave a tale, that’s what they are there for.
- What do you say to those who view listening to audiobooks as “cheating” or as inferior to “real reading”?
- Nonsense. Some avid “readers” have actual impairments. Audiobooks are a fantastic way to help those with disabilities, sharing a story regardless of obstacles. For those without impairments, it’s just another way to cram more books in. Either way, getting through a book is an achievement to be praised, not condemned based on method.
- In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of writing a stand-alone novel vs. writing a series?
- Having done both, there’s something freeing about a stand-alone. For me, I had a single vision in mind, and all I wanted was to get that across, but not drag it out per se. Having a series means considering aspects beyond your first hook, a story that needs unfolding over more hurdles, thicker plots or complex character development. There’s no right or wrong, good or bad, it’s just a matter of what the author wants to write.
- Have any of your characters ever appeared in your dreams?
- All the time. They reenact scenes with more complexity than I could have remembered to write down when I woke up. Sometimes, and without giving too much away, some of the characters have made it a point to romance since there was only alluding in the book.
- What’s next for you?
- Currently, I’m working on a narrative project at Hangar 13 that I’m incredibly excited about. Unfortunately, I can’t talk about it. Hopefully one day it’s something I can share. That said, I’m not done writing books; the next one is just beginning to take root in my imagination.
Author K.M. Riley’s Dream Cast for Fever Rising
Cassidy Havok – Chloe Bennet
Kaden Valens – Chris Evans
Nixandra Valens – Daisy Ridley
Hunter Cath – Javier Bardem
Liam Mercer – Tahj Mowry
Sly Simmonds – Jeff Bridges
Prize: $50 Amazon Gift Card
➜Sign up as a host here